My sister had a baby on Saturday – a girl! She lives on the other side of the country and it will be a few months before I can visit. In the meantime, I’m soaking up all the baby pictures she sends me and reminiscing about that wonderful-terrible time right after bringing the baby home: you’re tired, moving through a fog, (but so happy!) and also so sore. It’s a jumble of love, anxiety, exhaustion, and excitement all rolled into one.
And it got me thinking about gifts for new moms. We are so quick to want to pick up some adorable outfit or toy from the store to spoil the new little one – and rightly so! But the new mom needs tending to as well. She just went from friends and family asking her “How are you feeling? How are you doing?” to having all the attention shift to the baby. If you’d like to pamper and bless a new mom in your life, read on!
Let me just state right off the bat that the nicest, most appreciated gift you can give a new mom is to bring her dinner. If you want to give an extravagant gift she’ll appreciate, hire a maid service!
But if you’re looking to swing by, meet the baby, and pamper a new mom, here are some gift ideas that are sure to bless*:
1. Dry Shampoo: Because the reality is that she’s NOT going to get a shower every day. This was a lifesaver for me!
2. Water Bottle: This is an essential gift, especially if the new mom is breastfeeding. I love that this one is dishwasher safe. Having a straw is especially helpful!
3. Tinted Lip Balm: Face it… it will be a while before that new mom is wearing makeup. This at least makes it look like she put in an effort.
4. Yoga pants: You know, for when her pajama pants are in the wash! I love these high-waisted cotton ones!
5. Thank you cards: For all of those friends and family members who drop by with meals and little gifts. It’s good to be prepared!
6. Netflix/Hulu+ subscription: So she won’t be bored out of her mind when she’s feeding the baby at 1 AM (and at 3, and again at 5…)
7. Fancy Hand Sanitizer: She will want to use it, and she’ll ask everyone else to use it before holding the new baby!
8. Sleep Mask: For when she’s trying to sleep when the baby sleeps at odd hours throughout the day. Bonus: offer to watch the new baby while she sneaks in a nap!
9. Hot Cold Reusable Gel Packs: These are super practical and will offer relief for moms, whose bodies are sore in all sorts of places!
11. The gift of time. She’s about to be tired and overwhelmed — and she’ll have to learn to manage her time in a whole new way. That’s why my new book Around the Clock Mom: Make the Most of Your God-Given Time is the perfect gift!
What do you think? What would you have appreciated as a new mother?
*Affiliate links: as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This just means that if you purchase through these links, I’ll earn a few extra pennies at no extra cost to you!
**If you enjoyed this post, consider sharing it! And be sure to sign up below to get The Scoop, a twice a month newsletter filled with helpful links to the best posts and podcasts to encourage your in your journey of faith and motherhood!